DUBAI, UAE (CMC):Batting legend Brian Lara believes recently retired West Indies batsman Shiv Chanderpaul should have been afforded the time to make a graceful exit from the game.Hailing Chanderpaul as one of the “giants of West Indies cricket”, Lara said he was disappointed the 41-year-old had been axed from the Test team without having the opportunity to have a “proper send-off”.”Shiv, who played since 1994, had a tremendous career. I started with Shiv in Guyana, and remember his first Test match against England,” Lara said here Monday.”That guy with the most Test matches for the West Indies, playing for over 20 years. I don’t think people in the West Indies understand exactly his contribution.”I was very disappointed that Shiv was not allowed a couple of more Test matches, not necessarily to break the record, but to have a proper send-off – something I think he is very disappointed (about); and, unfortunately, that did not happen.”Chanderpaul’s form came under the microscope after he managed just 91 runs in three Tests against South Africa last year January and 92 runs in a similar three-Test series against England in April.In announcing the left-hander’s sacking ahead of Australia’s tour of the Caribbean last May, chief selector Clive Lloyd said Chanderpaul’s decline in form had been “rapid”, and selectors had opted to focus on younger players.Overall, Chanderpaul pummelled 11,867 runs from 164 Tests at an average of 51, with 30 centuries.Lara said he was a big admirer of Chanderpaul throughout his career.”He has been a great servant for West Indies cricket, and he has done some tremendous things throughout his career, and credit must be given to the man for how he has played,” said Lara, who is here to play in the Masters Champions League.See related story on B3.
West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Whycliffe ‘Dave’ Cameron has disclosed that West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell will not be pulled from the West Indies team for the upcoming ICC World T20 World Cup. The Windies are currently preparing for the upcoming tournament to be held in India. Russell, an anticipated key figure in the West Indies push to regain the World Twenty20 crown, recently missed three out-of-competition drug tests over a 12-month period, which under World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) rules equates to a positive finding and carries a suspension of two years for a first offence. The 27-year-old, according to Cameron, is to face an independent panel of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission after the March 8 to April 3 tournament. “Mr Russell is not suspended as he will play in the World T20,” Cameron said, following the annual general meeting of the WICB at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel at the weekend. “The matter has been sent to an independent panel for hearing, and that will be done after the tournament.” Cameron, who expressed surprise at Russell’s rule violation given efforts of the board to inform players of WADA requirements, also stated that Russell has the full support of the board. “We have Ayana Cooper (WICB player relations officer), who is on board, on staff and that is exactly one of the reasons she is there for: To support the players directly on those things,” stated Cameron. “We have to now move to try and support him in ensuring whatever sanctions we can mitigate.” The big-hitting Russell guided Islamabad United to the inaugural Pakistan Super League title last month. He was also named man of the tournament. He also helped Sydney Thunder win the Australia Big Bash League, Kolkata Knight Riders the Indian Premier League and Jamaica Tallawahs the Caribbean Premier League. He is also in talks with Nottinghamshire in a bid to represent them in this year’s England T20 Blast tournament. According to WADA rules, athletes must tell their local anti-doping agency, where they will be for at least one hour each day, to accommodate out-of-competition drug tests.
Oil and gas sector …cautions against unrealistic expectations in first 4 yearsMuch has been said about how rich Guyana stands to be with revenues from oil and gas. What has not been so clear is the timeline within which Guyana earns all this money. According to one financial analyst, the country’s returns form the first few years will be a modest one.In an interview with Guyana Times Financial Analyst Sase Singh explained that cost recovery is designed so that developers can recover their investment costs up front.“That usually eats away at the revenue sizably but it is capped according to the contract. But Guyana will be hit from all sides in the first four years – there is recovery of investment cost, operations cost, marketing, brokerage and shipping cost for selling our portion of the profit oil and thus from 2020-2023 it will not be pretty for Guyana,” he said.However, Singh noted that when these first four years are out of the way, what will follow will be an unprecedented bonanza. According to Singh, there is a distinct possibility, subject to global oil prices, that the Treasury will see a flood of revenue.“Let us focus the peak revenue period – from 2024-2034 (10 years of oil bonanza). I am talking about Guyana actually seeing its oil revenue triple in that first year – 2024. I would not be surprised if the Treasury has influx of a billion US dollars in oil revenue in 2024. I would not be surprised if in some of those 10 years, Guyana experienced oil revenue of more than one and half billion per year.”“I would not be surprised if the average oil revenue per year in those 10 years, from 2024-2034, is more than a billion US per year. If the oil projections from the developers are reliable, Guyana can see as much as US$18 billion flowing into the Treasury from this Stabroek Block,” Singh stated.Financial Analyst Sase SinghTo better illustrate the potential windfall, Singh gave an example of the per capital distribution of a one off $5 million check to every Guyanese resident. However, he acknowledged the unsustainability of similar modes of distribution, which were suggested in sections of society.“My recommendation is a 20 per cent cash transfer to the people which is a GY$50,000 tax free check to every Guyanese for 15 years starting from 2024. Then 40 per cent will be assigned to support the major Private Sector led infrastructure projects like the deep water harbour, plantation agriculture projects, an oil refinery at Crab Island on the mouth of the Berbice River, support to a tolled transportation link from Linden to Brazil and so forth.“The final 40 per cent should be (invested) in the Sovereign Wealth Fund, which will be managed professionally and in such a manner so as to not deplete the capital. The interest revenue will be used as support for the National Budget,” Singh also suggested.After its 10th discovery of oil in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil has estimated the recoverable resource in the block to be five billion oil equivalent barrels. At US$50 a barrel, that equates to well over US$200 billion. In addition, an independent assessment, or competent persons report, had found that 2.9 billion barrels of oil existed in the Orinduik block.All of this will represent a monetary windfall for Guyana, which will be saved and invested through a Natural Resources Fund. A green paper on the Fund was recently laid in the National Assembly, but the fund itself is still in its planning stages.Government had released the draft Natural Resources Fund Bill of 2018, which had proposed among other things a 22-member Public Accountability and Oversight Committee that would oversee the management of the Fund and provide checks and balances.Investment firm Merrill Lynch has for some time expressed an interest in being involved in managing Guyana’s oil finances.In fact, representatives from the firm had reportedly met with Central Bank Governor, Dr Gobind Ganga. The Opposition has urged that the vetting process for the fund manager be a rigorous one.
Friday marks the last day of voting for the Conservative candidate for the Prince George-Peace River riding.After a full week of voting across the riding, final votes are being cast Friday evening in Prince George. The official candidate will be chosen using a preferential voting system, says Chad Anderson, president of the Conservative Prince George-Peace River Riding Association. Anderson says the winning candidate should be announced by either late Friday night or early Saturday morning.- Advertisement -There are currently seven nominees running for the Conservative candidacy. The seven nominees are Dan Davies, Don Irwin, Colin Kinsley, Jerrilyn Schembri, Les Shurtliff, Cameron Stolz and Bob Zimmer.Although a by-election has not yet been called for the riding, the NDP and the Green party already announced their official candidates back in November.Former Member of Parliament for the Prince George-Peace River riding Jay Hill stepped down on Oct. 25 and, according to Elections Canada, a by-election must be called within 180 days of a MP’s resignation.
However, with the fall in the value of the Canadian dollar, WestJet is seeing movement away from U.S. destinations. CALGARY, A.B. — The ongoing oil and gas industry slump has forced Calgary-based WestJet to cut nearly a dozen daily flights out of the two major cities in Alberta, primarily to western energy hub destinations.By March 5, 2016, the airline will slash one of its eleven daily flights between Calgary and Edmonton while direct flights from Calgary to Terrace and Prince George will also be suspended.There will also be reduced service to other centres, including Penticton in B.C. and in Edmonton connection to Kamloops and Nanaimo will be turfed.- Advertisement -Service to Grande Prairie will be reduced, with company vice-president Richard Bartrem explaining, “It’s a supply and demand business and we’re seeing less demand for travel to and from energy markets.”It has not been suggested that any of the changes is being made on a permanent basis, and to date, the airline hasn’t replied to enquiries about the impact — if any — to Fort St. John Encore service.By this summer WestJet and its discount carrier will still operate close to 4,600 flights per week to 101 world-wide destinations, and Mr. Bartrem says demand still seems pretty strong for vacation destinations.Advertisement
This month we have a chance for you to win $100 to spend at Backcountry. Enter below before December 31, 2019, for your chance to win. – Advertisement –
0Shares0000Ex-Arsenal man Francis Coquelin scored in Valencia’s win at MalagaLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 21 – Valencia midfielder Francis Coquelin admits he was stagnating at Arsenal and is now enjoying the challenge of playing for a new club in a different league.The 26-year-old left the Gunners on January 11 to sign for Los Che after spending 10 years at the north London outfit, During which he made 160 appearances across all competitions. The Frenchman has revealed that he struggled to challenge himself at Arsenal and is delighted to be pushing himself again. He has made seven appearances for Valencia and scored one goal since the move.“It isn’t that easy when you’ve spent 10 years somewhere, but I needed a new challenge,” he told Spanish outlet Clicanoo.“You tend to get into a comfort zone when you stay several years in the same clubs. You try and challenge yourself, but it’s a bit harder.“Here, I’m starting from scratch. It’s a new experience, a new training method, new teammates and a new environment.“All that means I was thrilled by the project. There’s interesting goals to accomplish. I’m focused on that.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
1 Oxford United forward Kemar Roofe Newcastle have yet to make an enquiry to Oxford United about signing midfielder Kemar Roofe, according to the League Two club’s chief executive.The 22-year-old, formerly of West Brom, has been in sparkling form for the promotion-chasing side this season, scoring 11 goals this season including the winner against Dagenham on Saturday.That has led to interest from clubs in higher leagues and it is understood Newcastle are planning a January bid.However, club chief Mark Ashton says the player is not close to a move.“Nobody has called directly on Kemar Roofe or about any of our players,” he said. “There’s lots of chatter in the background from agents, but that’s what the industry is like.”
Breel Embolo in action for Switzerland 1 Manchester United have offered Swiss teen sensation Breel Embolo a £4m-a-year salary to join them – but his mum is still not sure.According to Bild, Jose Mourinho is working hard to convince the Basel hotshot to join his Old Trafford revolution.The 19-year-old broke into the Basel first team during the 2013/14 season and has already racked up 61 league appearances for the club.It looked as though the forward would join Leipzig in Germany and it was even suggested that the two sides had agreed a fee for the switch.But United have barged in on proceedings and hope to lure him to England with a tempting salary package, which Leipzig cannot compete with given their strict self-imposed salary cap.It has been reported that the contract on offer contains a £4m annual salary, which is almost double what is on offer from Leipzig.However, Embolo’s mother Germaine still needs convincing that England is the right place for her son.It has been suggested that she was happy for him to move to Leipzig but is currently unsure about England despite the money on offer.
City and Whittier Historical Society officials said acknowledging Miguel’s claim of an even older structure has nothing to do with the Bailey House. Officials said they have simply asked Miguel to prove the home is of historical significance. “Right now, I don’t have anything that tells me that the house is what he tells me it is, other than his genealogy,” said Don Dooley, the city’s planning services manager. The process of proving historical authenticity involves having an architectural historian certify that a building is of 1840s vintage and retains its original wood, windows and other features, Dooley said. Miguel’s grandmother’s house has not been designated by the city’s Historic Resources Commission as eligible for designation as a historical site on the local register, he added. There are currently 32 historic residences in Whittier on the local register. Myra Hilliard, executive director of the Whittier Museum, which is operated by the Historical Society, said officials there have also been approached by Miguel. But it is up to the city to decide if a home is historical, she added. “We have an archival room where you can make appointments to do the research, but we don’t have the power to declare something historical,” she said. Miguel, a makeup artist who divides his time between Whittier and Glendale, said he is considering asking officials from the state’s Office of Historic Preservation to examine the house. “I feel this has been ignored for too many years and it is important to set history straight,” he said. Miguel said his research into his family tree shows that his great-great-great uncle Guirado built the house in the 1840s to live in while he worked at the Pioneer Store, a general store in Los Nietos. The Pioneer Store became a convenient stop-in place for supplies for people traveling north along a path that ran from the Pacific Ocean to Workman Mill in Whittier. When his wife died, he moved to another home and the house sat vacant until Guirado sold it to his nephew Reginaldo Poyorena and his wife Nora for $200. The couple then moved the home to Whittier in 1905 because they wanted it in a nicer location than behind a store, said Miguel. It has remained in the family through generations ever since, said Miguel. His great-grandmother Nora Poyorena lived in it when he was a youngster, and his mother Gloria Anita Poyorena Miguel was raised in it. Poyorena family members still live in the home and in neighboring houses on Pasadena Street. “What I know now is that this is an old house that generations of my family grew up in, and I don’t want it to get passed over,” said Miguel. email@example.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – When Tim Miguel was a boy growing up in Whittier, the white clapboard cottage with the wide porch on Pasadena Street was simply his grandma’s house.But after researching his family tree, he has come to believe it is one of the oldest houses in the Whittier area, built in the 1840s in unincorporated Los Nietos by his great-great-great uncle Bernardino Guirado. In 1905, Guirado’s nephew, Reginaldo Poyorena – Miguel’s great-grandfather – moved the house to Whittier and moved into it with his wife Nora, Miguel said. Now he just needs to convince everyone else. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventMiguel is seeking to have the home at 12502 Pasadena St. placed on the Local Official Register of Historic Resources. So far, however, he hasn’t received much support from the Whittier Historical Society or City Hall, he said. “All I keep hearing is they need proof. But my feeling is they don’t want to detract from the Bailey House,” he said. “Heck, my family was here watching the Baileys arrive in their wagons.” The Bailey House on Camilla Street was built by Jacob Gerkens in 1868-1869 and was lived in by Whittier’s first Quaker settlers, Jonathan and Rebecca Bailey, between 1887 and 1894, according to the Whittier Historical Society. It is the oldest recorded building in the city, according to the society.