Category «qgpazpejvmwi»

Slow start costs Flintridge Prep, 57-42

first_imgBy the time the Rebels got settled, it was too late in a 57-42 loss to the Hawks. “We’ve never played in a place so big with so many people,” said guard Courtney Robinson, who led the Rebels with 17 points. “After the first quarter, we got in the flow of things and started playing together.” LONG BEACH – In the biggest game in the program’s history, the Flintridge Prep girls basketball team found itself busy making adjustments during Saturday’s CIF-Southern Section Division IV-A contest against No. 1-ranked Laguna Hills. The Rebels first needed to adjust to the shooting background at Long Beach State’s spacious Pyramid. They also had to fight off the nerves of playing on a big stage in a large venue. Rebels coach Kenny Fisher’s initial plan to get his second-ranked team into the flow – pound the ball inside – seemed simple. Easier said than done. Laguna Hills (25-4) used its size advantage and a 2-3 zone defense to force Flintridge Prep (24-4) to the outside, where the Rebels struggled for most of the quarter. The Hawks shut down Flintridge Prep’s post tandem of forwards Laurel Myers and Christina Watson en route to their third title and first since 2000. Myers managed just six points and Watson had 12. center_img “Laurel Myers and Christina are a big part of our team, and when we couldn’t get them the ball, we knew that us guards needed to do it all and play our best,” Robinson said. Added Myers, “Christina and I didn’t necessarily show our best in the post today, but we tried hard. Their posts were definitely strong.” The Rebels failed to contain the Laguna Hills duo of freshman Lauren Engeln and Nicki Nakhaie. Engeln scored 17 points and Nakhaie had 16. Flintridge Prep scored nine consecutive points, highlighted by a 3-pointer from Jordan Toyama, who scored 13 points, and a putback by Myers to pull within three points at 32-29 with 1:15 to go in the third quarter. The Rebels got no closer as Laguna Hills countered with a 12-0 run. scott.galetti@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 4456 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Neymar’s father denies any contact with Barca over return

first_img“Barca are a huge club, we were very happy over there,” Neymar Sr told TF1 on Sunday. “It’s impossible to leave a player like him out of these (transfer market) rumours. But it’s a lie, there hasn’t been a call with Barca.”“There are two people who speak for Neymar: himself and me. Neither of us has spoken about this intention to return to Barcelona,” he added.“These rumours amuse us a lot. These journalists are funny. The future is in Paris, the present is in Paris.”Neymar Sr took to social media last month to brand a report in Spain which claimed he had begged Barca to re-sign his son from PSG as “fake news”.The Brazilian forward is currently on the sidelines after he was ruled out for 10 weeks with a metatarsal injury suffered in a French Cup win over Strasbourg on January 23.PSG hope the 27-year-old, who suffered a fracture to the same right foot at the end of February last year, will be back in time for a potential Champions League quarter-final.The French club hold a 2-0 lead over Manchester United ahead of the return leg at the Parc des Princes in their last-16 tie.Neymar Sr also called on referees in France to offer his son more protection.“It’s not the French league that is the problem, it’s the referees who must protect the players,” he said.“If fouls aren’t whistled, if unsporting behaviour goes unpunished… that’s the problem.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Neymar will be sidelined until early April with a metatarsal injury © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Feb 17 – Neymar’s father reiterated on Sunday that there has been no attempt to contact Barcelona over a possible return to Spain for the world’s most expensive player.Neymar joined Paris Saint-Germain for a world record fee of 222 million euros in August 2017 but has repeatedly been linked with a move back to Barcelona.last_img read more

Powell and Valdes among four players released by new Man United boss Mourinho

first_img Nick Powell and Victor Valdes 1 Nick Powell and Victor Valdes have left Manchester United, the club have confirmed.The duo were out of contract this summer and new United boss Jose Mourinho has decided not to offer them new deals.Youngsters Oliver Rathbone and George Dorrington have also departed Old Trafford.Powell was rated as one of English football’s hottest prospects when he joined United from Crewe in 2012 for a fee of around £6m.But the 22-year-old has struggled with fitness and form and has made only nine first-team appearances for the club.Valdes, meanwhile, exits having played just twice for United after his free transfer switch in January 2015.The former Barcelona goalkeeper was brought in by Louis van Gaal to provide competition for David de Gea.He made two appearances for United before falling out of favour with the Dutchman and spent the second half of last season on loan at Standard Liege.last_img read more

With Rose Parade float, Torrance celebrates its sister city in Japan

first_imgPhoto Gallery of South Bay Rose Parade floats When former Torrance Mayor Ken Miller rides the city’s entry in the Rose Parade, it won’t be his only first this New Year’s Day. “I had a call from Mayor Frank Scotto, and he said make sure you wear long underwear,” said the 85-year-old Miller. “I’ve never worn long underwear in my life.” Miller and Scotto will ride the 35-foot-long float called “Festival of Flowers” that salutes the 35th anniversary of the sister city relationship between Torrance and Kashiwa, Japan. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonWhile the mayor of the Japanese city was unable to attend, Hazel Taniguchi, president of the Torrance Sister City Association, and her Kashiwa counterpart, Akemi Kosuge, will also ride the float. It’s the 54th year the city has entered a float in the parade, which this year has the theme “Passport to the World’s Celebrations.” In keeping with the theme, Torrance’s $138,000 float features a floral depiction of sakura matsuri – which in English means cherry blossom festival. Flower viewing is a centuries-old Japanese tradition in the spring, when thousands of people hold parties beneath the blooming cherry blossoms. The Torrance float boasts a torii gate at the entrance to a floral garden framing an elaborately costumed Kabuki dancer wearing a kimono of embroidered chrysanthemums and carnations. Flanking the dancer are yellow and gold butterflies, lanterns and ornately decorated silk fans. Sculptured lotus blossoms and koi fish will float in a floral pond beneath a Japanese footbridge crafted in red safflower spice with accents of pressed strawflower petals. Cherry trees laden with thousands of pink and white orchids will cascade over manicured gardens of more than 10,000 hot pink Princess roses. Volunteers like Sue Schmike of San Pedro, who lived in Torrance for about 30 years, have spent hours laboriously gluing organic materials to the creation. “When you first see these floats, they’re nothing but these long pieces of wire, pipes and screening and you have no idea what it’s going to look like,” Schmike said as she glued dried green peas to a large Japanese fan. “It’s really a lot of fun to watch the progress. It’s a special event that I’d really hate to miss.” Scotto – who will wear a traditional Japanese tangerine and black happi coat, bearing Kashiwa’s name, that he purchased during a recent trip to the city, also wasn’t about to miss out on riding in a parade watched by millions around the world. “Over the years, I have viewed the parade many times, and to be sitting on a float looking at the audience is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime event for me,” he said. Miller said that at his age, he agreed to ride along the 21/2-mile route in Pasadena only if he could sit down on the float. “I made one qualification – that was that I had to sit down,” he said. “Even if I were 40, I wouldn’t want to stand for two hours.” nick.green@dailybreeze.com Staff writer Art Marroquin contributed to this report.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

MAN TURNS OVER A NEW LEAF AFTER BOOZED-UP ARREST

first_imgLetterkenny District Court.A young man who was arrested after refusing to pay his taxi is now dealing with his alcohol demons through work.Patrick Toner (25) who now lives in Navan, Co Meath appeared in Letterkenny District Court today for failing to comply with direction of gardai, refusing to provide his name and address, using insulting behaviour and being intoxicated in a public place. He was arrested at Letterkenny Garda Station after he refused to pay his taxi fare on January 23, 2011.The court heard that he was in a highly intoxicated state and barely able to stand. When asked by gardai to leave the area, he used abusive language and refused to give his name and address.Solicitor Patsy Gallagher told the court that he had returned from a period in Australia to do a full-time plumbing apprenticeship, from which he earns €250 a week.The court heard how Toner had little or no recollection of the night in Letterkenny, and has not had a drink since. In reference to his past problems with alcohol, the defence said that he has “dealt with his demons by way of work.”Toner has had previous public order convictions in Kells in 2008 and Trim in 2010.Judge Paul Kelly warned Toner that he could face a custodial sentence. Toner asserted that such an incident would not happen again, as he has sworn off alcohol and attended AA meetings in Australia. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, the court heard that he hopes to return to Australia.Toner was fined €300 for public order offences and his charge of being intoxicated in a public place (Section Four Criminal Justice Act 2003) was struck out.by Rachel McLaughlinMAN TURNS OVER A NEW LEAF AFTER BOOZED-UP ARREST was last modified: January 28th, 2014 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny District CourtPatrick Tonerlast_img read more

SCORCHING WEATHER TO BRING RECORD CROWDS TO THE CHURCHILL FAIR

first_imgThe Churchill Fair is regarded as one of the most unique and most welcoming of gatherings in Donegal each year.Large numbers on the street for last year’s Fair.And aided by what promises to be scorching weather, the 19th annual event promises to draw huge crowds this weekend.The fair will be officially opened on Friday by Jason Black at 8.30pm. Events over the weekend include everything from underage soccer to birds of prey demonstration and from arts and crafts to a car boot and poultry fair.There will also be sheep shearing, a duck race, a 5km road race, sheep dog trials, a walk along the Bridle Path, clay pigeon shooting, a chain saw sculptor, a horse and pony show and kids entertainment.A very famous face on the streets of Churchill!The hard-working committee behind the scenes have once again ensured a great variety which offers something for everyone.Proceeds from this year’s Fair goes to the Friends of the Donegal Hospital. So if you are anywhere near Churchill this weekend, or even if you aren’t, make it your business to get close to the shores of Gartan.It’s a special place with a special welcome.These ladies really enjoyed last year’s FairAnd when the sun shines down, it displays everything that is wonderful about Donegal.See you there.For a full list of all events see www,churchillfair.org. SCORCHING WEATHER TO BRING RECORD CROWDS TO THE CHURCHILL FAIR was last modified: July 18th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:churchill fairlast_img read more

CHAMBER PLEADS WITH MOTORISTS TO HAVE PATIENCE DURING CHRISTMAS RUSH

first_imgLetterkenny Chamber has appealed to motorists to be patient as traffic begins to build in the the build-up to the festive season.The chamber is hoping there will be no scenes like this in Letterkenny!There are more than 3,000 parking spaces in the town and people are being asked to take their time.Toni Forrester, CEO of Letterkenny Chamber, says everyone can play their part. “Car parks and main routes will of course be busy so in the spirit of the festive season we urge motorists to exercise caution and show some patience.“The Gardai are on standby to keep the traffic moving as best they can but they need everyone’s co-operation. We encourage everyone to follow the rules of the road and keep safe this Christmas.”The chamber has reminded people there are 3000 car parking spaces in Letterkenny Town Centre at very reasonable rates and of course 30 minutes free on street parking. The many car parks are just minutes walk from the main shopping areas.“At this time of the year we just like to remind shoppers that there’s lots of free and reasonable spaces available within walking distance of shopping areas. We also know that this weekend will be busy and we call for people to be patient and to pass on their festive cheer to fellow motorists,” added Ms Forrester.  CHAMBER PLEADS WITH MOTORISTS TO HAVE PATIENCE DURING CHRISTMAS RUSH was last modified: December 18th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CHristmasLetterkenny Chamberroad ragelast_img read more

DOCTOR ARRESTED ON DRINK-DRIVING CHARGE

first_imgA DOCTOR who failed to appear at a court sitting where he faced a drink driving charge has appeared in court after being arrested on a bench warrant.Ali Salaheldin of 5 Pine Crescent, Drumgola Woods, Co. Cavan appeared before Letterkenny District Court charged with drink driving at Thornberry, Letterkenny on August 28th last.The court heard that the accused had previously worked at Letterkenny General Hospital and is taking up locum work in Oldham in England. Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the case until January 19th.DOCTOR ARRESTED ON DRINK-DRIVING CHARGE was last modified: November 10th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ali SalaheldinCavandonegaldrink drivingIrelandletterkennylast_img read more

MAN IS TERRIFIED HIS STOLEN GUNS WILL BE USED TO ROB MORE PENSIONERS

first_imgA young man said he is terrified that his stolen guns will be used to terrorise and rob more pensioners in Co Donegal.Mark Dowds with the camouflaged rifle which was one of two guns taken in the raid on his family’s home. (NW Newspix)Hunting enthusiast Mark Dowds has been left devastated after thieves broke into his family home and stole two shotguns, a hunting knife and cartridges.The 22 year old lives in Newtowncunningham, an area devastated by dozens of raids on the homes of pensioners in recent weeks. The gang broke into Mark’s family home in Rooskey and used a shovel and crowbar to smash open a locked gun-chest containing his guns.Devastated Mark told Donegal Daily “I am sickened to think that these guns could be cut down and used to terrorise old people and rob them.“I know there’s every likelihood that this could happen and it makes me sick. Old people have suffered around here enough.“They are terrified at night and now these scumbags have two more guns and a very sharp hunting knife they can use in their cowardly raids.” The robbery is even more devastating for Mark as one of the guns, a Lamper Over and Under shotgun, was given to him by his father Ivor when he started to shoot.“I simply can’t replace that gun. It has huge sentimental value. But the cowards who broke into our family home don’t care about that,” said the Moyle Gun Club member.The gang also stole a significant sum of money which Mark had saved to celebrate his 23rd birthday this weekend with friends.Gardai are hunting the gang behind the raid which happened between 1 and 2pm on Wednesday afternoon.A local farmer spotted a green or blue car with a Northern Ireland registration acting suspiciously in the area at the time. As well as nightly patrols in the area, local residents have set up text alert schemes and provided alarms and sensor lights for the elderly at cost price.A recent meeting to discuss the burglary crisis in the was attended by more than 1,500 people and a €10,000 bounty was offered to catch the gang.Mark said he has no qualms in saying what he would have done had he have walked in on the burglars ransacking his family home.“They may have walked in but they wouldn’t have been walking out. It’s as simple as that. “The aw is on the side of these people and the Gardai simply don’t have the resources to catch them.“It’s going to take a serious incident and I mean one of these people getting badly hurt during a burglary to send the message out.“People are sick of being preyed upon. I will never forget what these people did to my home but if they do it again I will be ready,” he said.MAN IS TERRIFIED HIS STOLEN GUNS WILL BE USED TO ROB MORE PENSIONERS was last modified: March 6th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:burglarygangguns stolenMarks DowdsNewtowncunninghamRooskeylast_img read more

What Matt Olson’s hand surgery means for the A’s roster

first_imgOAKLAND — The A’s biggest fear regarding Matt Olson’s hand issue on the trip home from Japan has been realized.Olson underwent surgery Friday that involved a right hamate excision in his right hand at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles with Dr. Steven Shin.The first baseman felt pain near the center of palm after fouling off a pitch from Yusei Kikuchi in the fifth inning of Thursday’s 5-4 loss to the Seattle Mariners at the Tokyo Dome. Olson reached base with a single in the same at-bat …last_img read more