Los Angeles officials and six unions have negotiated a contract that will give the bulk of the city’s civilian work force up to a 23 percent pay hike at the end of five years, the Daily News has learned. The deal means thousands of city workers will see salary increases even greater than a controversial 16.8 percent salary deal recently negotiated for Department of Water and Power workers. Details of the six-union deal have remained secret since the tentative pact was reached late Sunday. Sources familiar with it say the package includes a 14.25 percent raise over five years for all of the unions’ 22,000 workers. But they also note that the deal is sweetened by an additional 8.25 percent hike over the last three years for the most experienced and skilled workers – or up to 80 percent of the unions’ members. Factoring in those three extra 2.75 percent annual increases, most employees would see a pay boost of nearly 23 percent by the end of the contract. With a payroll of about $1 billion – and each 1 percent in salary increase worth about $12 million for the entire work force – the first year of the pay hike would cost the city roughly $30 million. The final five-year cost of the contract would be just over $200 million. Earlier this year, the Engineers and Architects Association staged a three-day walkout in protest of salary disparities and won a three-year contract with annual raises of 3 percent. The most recent contract for civilian workers in the city was for a three-year deal with a total of 6.25 percent salary increases and no raise the first year. City officials declined Thursday to discuss many of the terms of this week’s contract deal. Details could be under wraps for up to a month as the unions’ 22,000 members vote on whether to ratify the pact. Officials have noted that the contract includes a unique cost-savings provision in its final two years that forces employees to find savings in the way they work or face penalties. The deal was reached just as the current contracts expired and ended days of intense negotiating in which the unions sought parity with DWP workers, who are among the highest-paid employees in the city. Two years ago, DWP workers – long some of the highest-paid in the city – got a five-year contract guaranteeing 16.8 percent raises and up to 28 percent, depending on inflation. While the six-union deal offers many workers raises significantly higher than the DWP raises, it still fails to close a wide salary gap that already exists. The civilian employees’ contract also is not tied to the same national Consumer Price Index, sources said. Barbara Maynard, spokeswoman for Coalition of L.A. City Unions that is representing the unions, also declined comment Thursday. “We’re not going to comment on anything with regard to a labor agreement,” she said. But one source who described details of the package said the 2.75 percent increases for the top-tier workers was unexpected. Sources earlier this week had told the Daily News that the increase was about 13 percent – but did not mention the remainder of the deal. The contract must still be ratified by union members and approved by the City Council and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. The civilian coalition in the recent talks included Service Employees International Union Local 721, representing 9,160 workers from custodians and trash-truck drivers to street-services employees. It also represented 9,000 American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees District Council 36 employees, including clerical workers, librarians, professional medical employees, Community Redevelopment Agency workers, and mostly part-time Recreation and Parks employees. Other unions include the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 501; Laborers International Union Local 777; Los Angeles/Orange County Building & Construction Trades Council; and Teamsters Local 911. Council members also have either declined to talk about the deal or said they haven’t seen a final version. Dennis Zine, chairman of the council’s Personnel Committee, said he’ll wait to see the justification for the pay raises. “Are they reasonable?” he asked. [email protected] (818) 713-3731160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Arcata >> With all of the offense the Humboldt Crabs have delivered in the month of July, it’s understandable that their pitching staff has flown somewhat under the radar despite their consistent ways.One of the steadiest pitchers from his first start onward has been right-hander Matthew Hernandez — and he made sure the Crabs weren’t going to lose their second Sunday game in a row.Hernandez allowed all of two hits in six shutout innings of work and was backed by another huge run total by the …
Two hundred years ago, a ship’s carpenter had many duties. In addition to repairing the ship, a carpenter would be called on to perform emergency amputations. Why? He was the one who had the saws.Modern surgeons still require saws, as well as drills, chisels, scrapers, and grinders. As a lighthearted exercise that has almost nothing to do with green building, I recently got the idea to compare surgical tools with carpentry tools.Full disclosure: This blog is for fun. It is completely empty of any building science. Comparing prices I assumed that surgeons are paying five times as much as carpenters for their tools. In some cases, that’s true. But the price picture turned out to be a little more complicated than I assumed.Before I could make any conclusions about tool prices, I had to do some research. I discovered that American and European manufacturers of surgical tools are reluctant to publish their prices on the web, making this research difficult.However, Chinese manufacturers came to the rescue. Unlike their American and European counterparts, Chinese manufacturers seem eager to post prices.What did I learn? The “WalMart effect” applies to some, but not all, surgical tools. Many Chinese manufacturers offer great prices on surgical tools. Martin Holladay’s previous blog: “Fine Homebuilding Editors Interview Martin Holladay.” Click here to follow Martin Holladay on Twitter. Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. This article is only available to GBA Prime Members Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in
The presence of an unidentified lady beside flag-bearer Sushil Kumar in the Indian contingent during the opening ceremony of the Olympics has prompted the country’s miffed officials to take up the issue with the Games organisers.A young lady in red shirt and blue trouser was seen leading the Indian contingent in the march past alongside Beijing Games bronze-medal winner Sushil Kumar and her unwanted presence has not gone down well with the Indians who had no clue as to who she was.Acting chef de mission of the Indian contingent Brig P K Muralidharan Raja is understandably agitated that a person who was not part of the delegation was allowed to accompany the team and hog the limelight in the process.”She had no business to walk in with the Indian contingent and we are taking up the issue with the organisers. We don’t know who she is and why she was allowed to walk in. It is a shame that she was with the athletes in the march past,” Raja told PTI in London.”We were initially told that she would accompany the contingent till the track but she went on to take the entire lap. There was another man also but he stayed back and did not enter the stadium,” Raja added.”We have taken strong exception to this. The march past is for the athletes and officials attached to the contingent. We are totally taken by surprise how a person could just intrude into the track,” he wondered.advertisementThe lady’s presence had created a flutter Friday night itself and the Indian media covering the Games, had sought clarification from the team management.”The Indian contingent was shown for hardly ten seconds in the tv coverage and the entire focus sadly was on this lady, instead of the athletes,” Raja rued.The Indians have fielded 81 athletes, the largest ever in the history of the Games, but only 40 athletes and around 11 officials participated in the parade at the opening ceremony, which showcased Great Britain’s rich heritage combined with dazzling fireworks and stunning visual effects.The Indian men wore traditional blazers and Rajasthani yellow turbans while the female atheletes wore yellow sarees.
Southampton boss Hasenhuttl willing to go with the kidsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl is willing to go with the kids with their survival push.Hasenhuttl has already put his faith in youth having given opportunities to academy graduates Yan Valery, Tyreke Johnson and Michael Obafemi.“Our philosophy is to give the young players a chance for the future because they are our future,” said Hasenhuttl.“I want them to be part of the squad and it can happen with Ramsay in the next game against Man City gets the chance to play.“We have a few jewels in the academy and my challenge is to work with them and make them better and that is only possible if you give them a chance to play against good teams. Why not?” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say REVEALED: AVB fumed when Chelsea sold De Bruyneby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWhen Chelsea sold Kevin De Bruyne, their manager at the time was furious with the club’s board.A new report has revealed that Andre Villas-Boas, who was the club’s boss in 2011, was not happy with the decision to part with De Bruyne.Chelsea felt they had enough quality in attacking midfield, allowing the Belgian to move to Werder Bremen.The Athletic says Villas-Boas did not even know that De Bruyne was being pushed for a transfer until he was sold.The matter left him livid, but it was a short lived issue as AVB lost his job two months later.Chelsea have always regretted selling De Bruyne, as he signed for Manchester City a couple of years later and went from strength to strength.
EAST LANSING, MI – NOVEMBER 24: General view of the Breslin Student Event Center as the Michigan State Spartans play against the Santa Clara Broncos on November 24, 2014 in East Lansing, Michigan. (Photo by Rey Del Rio/Getty Images)Michigan State lost to Illinois Saturday night, but at least one Spartans fan may have been too distracted to notice. The below video, which has now gone viral, shows a MSU supporter somewhat infatuated with the female standing in front of him in the stands. He seemingly can’t believe his eyes when he looks at her backside.Discreet, he is not. The below video seems appropriate.
Some of the most active companies traded Wednesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange:Toronto Stock Exchange (16,169.28, up 9.78 points).RNC Minerals. (TSX:RNX). Metals. Up nine cents, or 12.2 per cent, to 83 cents on 46.1 million shares.Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX:ACB). Healthcare. Down 58 cents, or 4.54 per cent, to $12.19 on 36.4 million shares.Wallbridge Mining Co. Ltd. (TSX:WM). Metals. Down seven cents, or 21.9 per cent, to 25 cents on 7.6 million shares.Aphria Inc. (TSX:APH). Healthcare. Down 54 cents, or 2.76 per cent, to $19 on 7.6 million shares.Enbridge Inc. (TSX:ENB). Energy. Down 74 cents, or 1.7 per cent, to $42.17 on 4.9 million shares.Trevali Mining Corp. (TSX:TV). Metals. Down three cents, or 3.95 per cent, to 73 cents on 4.67 million shares.Companies reporting major news:Chorus Aviation Inc. (TSX:CHR). Down four cents, or 0.5 per cent, to $7.61. Chorus Aviation says it has signed a deal to perform heavy maintenance work for Latvia’s airBaltic. Financial terms of the agreement were not immediately available. Under the deal, Jazz Technical Services will provide airframe maintenance for airBaltic’s 12 Q400 NextGen aircraft. The work will be done at its facility at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.
WASHINGTON — The Latest on the Trump administration’s move to ban bump stocks (all times local):3:55 p.m.The National Rifle Association is “disappointed” with the Trump administration’s plan to outlaw bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire continuously.Spokeswoman Jennifer Baker says the Justice Department should provide amnesty for gun owners who already have the devices.The Justice Department says the attachments will be banned beginning in late March under a law that prohibits machine-guns. The new rule reverses a 2010 government decision that found bump stocks didn’t amount to machine-guns.Baker says the regulation “fails to address the thousands of law-abiding Americans” who followed the government’s previous guidance.Bump stocks became a focal point in the gun control debate after they were used in the October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas, the deadliest in modern U.S. history.__12:25 p.m.The Trump administration has moved to officially ban bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like automatic firearms, and has made them illegal to possess beginning in late March.The devices will be banned under a federal law that prohibits machine-guns, according to a senior Justice Department official.Bump stocks became a focal point of the national gun control debate after they were used in October 2017 when a man opened fired from his Las Vegas hotel suite into a crowd at a country music concert below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.The Associated Press
“LNG Canada formally welcomes Petronas as our fifth Joint Venture Participant following a deal close this month,” said LNG Canada spokesperson Susannah Pierce. “You’ll continue to see LNG Canada as your day-to-day liaison with the community, First Nations and our stakeholders, so nothing changes in that regard.”“Petronas shares our strong commitment to the community, First Nations and government, and brings decades of LNG experience in construction and operations to LNG Canada, which will benefit our project as we move closer to a Final Investment Decision,” added Pierce.The announcement comes less than a year after Petronas and its partners scrapped plans to build a $36-billion LNG export terminal near Prince Rupert.LNG Canada has said that hopes to announce a final investment decision on the project during the second half of this year.With files from The Canadian Press. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – LNG Canada says that Petronas is now an official partner in the consortium that is proposing to build a $40 billion liquified natural gas export terminal in Kitimat.At the end of May, the Malaysian state-owned energy giant announced that one of its subsidiaries had signed an agreement for a 25 percent stake in LNG Canada, which was subject to regulatory approvals.In a Facebook post on Monday, LNG Canada officially welcomed Petronas as the fifth partner in the joint venture, which also includes Shell, PetroChina, Mitsubishi Corp., and Kogas Canada.