Boys Golf results for Thursday 5/17/18 match vs. Columbus East. Match was played at Otter Creek (East 9).Team Scores:Columbus North 159Batesville 188Match Medalist:Kody Reynolds-Columbus East (-1) 35Next Match:Saturday 5/19/18 Connersville InvitationalRecord:29-9For comments or questions, just ask. Thanks for all you do to promote the game and our athletes.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Ben Siefert.
Two Lebanese match officials have been sentenced by a court in Singapore, with another to be sentenced on Tuesday, after pleading guilty to accepting sex bribes from a crime syndicate thought to have been responsible for large-scale match-fixing.The officials accepted the bribes from prostitutes who were arranged for them by Eric Ding Si Yang, a Singaporean businessman, in exchange for fixing an Asian Football Confederation Cup match in April.Ali Eid, 33 and Abdallah Taleb, 37, both assistant referees, along with 34-year-old referee Ali Sabbagh, have since been detained in Changi Prison and denied bail.Judge Low Wee Ping said: “The fact that you are international officials, in my view, is already an aggravating factor.”But he said the fact that Eid and Taleb had pleaded guilty was a “strong mitigating factor”. Their good behaviour and the time they had already served in prison meant they could be released this week, he added.However, he said that more time would be needed to consider the sentence imposed on Sabbagh because the referee had had direct contact with businessman Ding, whom he met in Beirut. Ding was bailed after being charged with corruption in May. The case is the latest in a series linked with football corruption fuelled by illicit gambling syndicates.Last year, authorities in Singapore charged a referee and a former Malaysia international with conspiring to fix a Malaysian Super League match.And Wilson Raj Perumal, a Singapore national with ties to gambling syndicates in both Europe and Asia, was sentenced to prison in Finland for match-fixing.
The 2015 Federation of International Touch (FIT) World Cup was officially launched today in Sydney just five days out from the start of the event at C.Ex International Stadium in Coffs Harbour.A total of 90 teams from 25 nations will descend on Coffs Harbour next week, 29 April – 3 May, to contest the five-day event across nine men’s and women’s divisions.Among those taking part in today’s launch were Australian Men’s Open player Ben Moylan and his brother, NRL and Penrith Panthers star Matt, who started his career in touch football. The brothers were joined by international athletes from competing countries along with officials from the Federation of International Touch, Touch Football Australia, the National Rugby League and event partners, Destination NSW and Harvey NormanNSW Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events Stuart Ayres said the Touch Football World Cup was a fantastic event for Regional NSW.“The FIT Touch Football World Cup is under a week away, and with over 2,000 participants in 90 teams from 25 countries set to take part, it will provide a massive boost to the local visitor economy in Coffs Harbour,” he said.“Supported by the NSW Government through our tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW, the World Cup is a highlight on the 2015 Regional NSW Events Calendar and I wish all participants and organisers the best of luck. “I’d also encourage everyone who attends to take some time to experience everything the Coffs Harbour region has to offer, from spectacular coastline to a great range of bars, shops and restaurants.” Host nation and current holders of the Touch World Cup, Australia, will be striving to continue its outstanding record, having won all seven World Cup titles to date. This is the third time Australia has hosted the event, after previously hosting the inaugural World Cup on the Gold Coast in 1988 and in Sydney in 1999. Touch Football Australia CEO Colm Maguire said most teams had already arrived in Australia for the tournament and could not wait for the action to begin. “It really does seem like yesterday we were in Edinburgh celebrating Australia’s win at the 2011 World Cup,” he said. “Here we are today at Sydney Harbour welcoming athletes to our great country for a festival of International Touch Football. “Next we move to the Coffs Coast region, which provides the perfect setting for such an exciting international event.“It is shaping as the biggest and we certainly hope the best Touch World Cup on record.” Secretary-General of FIT, Bill Ker praised the organisation and location of the event. “I have no doubt that the 2015 World Cup in Australia will be the biggest and the most comprehensive World Cup in the 30 years of the Federation’s existence,” he said.“I must say this has come about by the interest expressed by the 25 Member Nations who are attending the excellent venue at Coffs Harbour, the extraordinary sponsorship support and the efforts of the host nation, Australia. “The work by Colm Maguire and his staff will ensure the staging of the event will be second-to-none – with all international visitors having an excellent experience not only from a World Cup viewpoint but an Australian hospitality perspective as well.”Harvey Norman Chief Operating Officer John Slack-Smith, said the company was proud to have the opportunity to be part of the Coffs Harbour event.“It will showcase the very best of the best in Touch Football,” he said.The NSW Government, through Destination NSW, is proud to partner with Touch Football Australia to secure major Touch Football events in NSW. This event is part of the NSW Government’s support for Touch Football, which follows also the Youth Trans Tasman event at Cronulla and the National Touch League in Coffs Harbour earlier this year. Check out the video from the launch here – http://www.nrl.com/touch-football-world-cup-launched-in-sydney/tabid/10959/contentid/744324/default.aspx Social Media Touch World CupTwitter – https://twitter.com/touchworldcup15 @touchworldcup15 (#TWC2015) Instagram – https://instagram.com/touchworldcup2015 Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/TouchWorldCup Social Media Touch Football AustraliaTwitter – https://twitter.com/touchfootyaus @touchfootyaus Instagram – https://instagram.com/touchfootballaustralia Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustralia Related LinksTWC Launched
Analysts continued to speculate in overnight reports that Husky will have to raise its bid to win over MEG’s management.They also found it doubtful that an alternate bidder will emerge for MEG given that its only product, oilsands bitumen, is facing severely discounted prices as new oilsands production from northern Alberta makes worse an export pipeline bottleneck.In an email, Husky spokesman Mel Duvall says his company believes its offer is attractive, adding it intends to review MEG’s directors’ circular rejecting the deal in more detail before providing further comment.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) CALGARY, A.B. – MEG Energy Corp. shares rose, fell and rose again Thursday morning after it formally rejected a hostile takeover offer from oilsands rival Husky Energy Inc.The target company said after markets closed Wednesday that the Husky offer is opportunistic and undervalues its assets and prospects, adding it intends to conduct a formal process that could identify a white knight to make a better offer.MEG shares rose by as much as 21 cents to $11 in morning trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange before falling back to near Wednesday’s close of $10.79 and then rising again to $10.85.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A ‘Dust Advisory’ has been issued for Fort St. John due to high concentrations of particulate matter (PM10).The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, in collaboration with Northern Health, issued the ‘Air Quality Advisory’ which will remain in effect until further notice.Exposure to PM 10 is particularily a concern for infants, the elderly and those who have diabetes, and lung or heart disease. Persons with chronic underlying medical conditions should postpone strenuous exercise near busy roads until the advisory is lifted.If you are experiencing symptoms such as continuing eye or throat irritation, chest discomfort, shortness of breath, cough or wheezing, follow the advice of your health care provider.Real-time air quality observations and information regarding the health effects of airpollution can be found at www.bcairquality.ca.For more information on current air quality; CLICK HEREVisit www.airhealth.ca for information on how to reduce your health risk and your personal contribution to pollution levels, as well as for current and forecast AQHI values.
Bars in orange indicate Real Madrid seasons with Ronaldo.Source: Opta Sports 2015-1627.7– In its last three league matches, Bayern has taken only 1 point — a draw against Augsburg — and scored just one goal while conceding six. However, its expected goals difference for those matches is roughly 4.8 to 2.5. These are performances typically good enough to win in the Bundesliga, and the points should come.But even the expected goals numbers do not reflect outright dominance. Bayern has struggled to produce spectacular attacking numbers. In particular, 30-year-old striker Robert Lewandowski is having a surprisingly down season, which comes on the heels of a surprisingly down World Cup. After scoring 27, 29 and 37 nonpenalty goals in the past three seasons between domestic and Champions League competition, with underlying numbers to match, the Polish forward has scored just two nonpenalty goals this season. His expected goals per 90 minutes has been more than 0.8 each of the last three seasons, and it’s down to 0.28 now. Arjen Robben and James Rodriguez have carried the shooting load for Lewandowski so far, but that has meant a decline in their creative passing numbers, which has weakened the whole team. It is possible that this is just an early season slump or World Cup-related fatigue, and Lewandowski will snap out of it. If he doesn’t, Bayern could be in for a disappointing year.Striker problems also have beset Real Madrid, but for them it’s even worse. Real sold Cristiano Ronaldo over the summer and shocked observers by simply not replacing him. The club eventually purchased Mariano from Lyon, but no one expected that to be a like-for-like replacement. In nearly the same number of minutes last season, against weaker competition, Mariano attempted 130 shots, exactly half of Ronaldo’s 260. Mariano has yet to start a match this season for Real; Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema have now been promoted to the point men in the attack after serving as Ronaldo’s support crew for years. The results have been as expected. 2010-1125.0– The big leagues in continental Europe have been dominated by their superpowers for years. Bayern Munich won the German Bundesliga title each of the past six seasons. In 13 of the past 14 seasons in Spain’s La Liga, either Barcelona or Real Madrid has taken the crown. The trio has also combined to win the past six Champions League titles. But right now, you can say something about these teams that’s been largely unthinkable for nearly a decade: They look vulnerable.Bayern is sixth in the Bundesliga, 4 points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund and trailing smaller clubs like Werder Bremen and Hertha BSC as well. Sevilla currently tops La Liga, with Barcelona and Madrid trailing close behind, but the two Spanish giants have each won just four of eight matches this season. Over the past decade, both teams have typically won at least 28 of their 38 matches per season, and the lowest win total either has posted was 22. These numbers are well off their pace.How worried should the superpowers of soccer be? The Soccer Power Index suggests reason for both confidence and concern. At the start of the season, Bayern was projected as 82 percent favorites to win the title. That has fallen, but only to 70 percent. Real Madrid has seen its La Liga title chances drop from 41 percent to 37 percent, but Barcelona’s have actually increased to 47 percent from opening at 43. For now, it seems likely that these teams have enough of a head start in talent that they can still win their domestic leagues.The Champions League may be another story. At the beginning of the year, the continental big three plus Manchester City were dead even with one another at the top of the projections. Now City leads, Juventus has caught up, and the gap to Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain is narrowing. And this is particularly striking because all three clubs are still massive favorites to progress out of their groups. What’s changed is that the Soccer Power Index is starting to downgrade its projections.The early season struggles of Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are not merely a matter of a few bad bounces. Expected goals, a measure of the quality of scoring chances created and conceded, shows that this is no fluke of hot or cold shooting — these sides’ underlying production numbers are off, too. The following chart shows the goal difference and expected goal difference for Barcelona, Bayern and Real Madrid in their first 10 matches of the season between domestic and Champions League play since 2010-2011, according to data analytics firm Opta Sports. For all three clubs, these are among their slowest starts to the season ever.1Bayern Munich has played only nine matches, so its numbers are prorated to 10 to match up with the rest of the chart. 2018-1919.4– 2011-1232.4– 2012-1330.5– Real has consistently produced about 2.5 or more expected goals per match over its first 10 games of the season, and that number is under 2.0 per match this year. The attack is no longer elite, and it’s hard to see how Real can improve without an injection of talent. Real Madrid looks headed for year in the wilderness as merely one of Europe’s 10 to 15 best teams rather than a top Champions League contender.For Barcelona, the problems are more complicated but perhaps no less severe. And unlike with Bayern and Real, they do not start at the top. Lionel Messi is still Lionel Messi, with 11 goals and four assists. Rather, Barcelona is struggling in the midfield, and that’s leading to defensive problems. Last season, Barcelona conceded just 29 goals, second-fewest in La Liga. It is hardly unusual for the Catalan side to put up dominant defensive numbers, but last year’s effort involved a change in tactics from manager Ernesto Valverde.In 2017-18, Barcelona relaxed the high press that had been a feature of its play at least since Pep Guardiola’s reign ended in 2012. With midfielders content to allow opposition teams to hold possession in less dangerous areas, Barcelona broke up only about 48 percent of new open-play possessions for the other team before they completed three passes. This year, Valverde has brought the old press back, and Barca is breaking up 55 percent of new opposition possessions.This has not worked to their advantage. The 2017-18 team conceded shots at a reasonably high rate — 444 shots, seventh fewest in La Liga. But it prevented quality chances by keeping numbers back and not allowing passes in behind the defense. Barcelona’s 0.087 expected goals per shot was second-best in La Liga after only Atletico Madrid. Valverde drilled his team to defend deeper rather than dominate midfield, and it worked. This year, the new style is having the opposite effect. Barca’s expected goals per shot conceded has exploded to 0.148, the worst in La Liga.Barcelona’s midfield depends on two 30-year-olds, Sergio Busquets and Ivan Rakitic, and last year Valverde’s tactics already suggested he knew he needed to cover for their deficiencies in the press. The results of the new, more aggressive midfield tactics confirm he was right to pull back.So Barcelona’s problems seem fixable, at least compared to those of Real Madrid and Bayern. If Valverde can accept once more the limitations of his midfield and play the more basic, defensive style he rolled out last season, there should be more than enough talent in the forward line to carry Barcelona deep in the Champions League. But if the team persists with this press, the Catalan side may end up in just as much trouble as Bayern and Real.Check out our latest soccer predictions. SeasonExpected goals through first 10 matches 2013-1425.3– Among all these starts to the season, the only one that was significantly worse than the three this year was Bayern Munich’s in 2010-11, when the club ended up in third place in the Bundesliga on 65 points.These numbers suggest three things. First, Bayern has been better than its table position suggests. Its goal difference is the second-worst of any of these clubs since 2010, but its expected goal differential is merely eighth-worst. Barcelona’s good goal difference, by contrast, is covering up problems in the underlying numbers. And Real Madrid is simply in trouble. 2017-1828.6– 2014-1526.5– 2016-1724.9– Losing Cristiano Ronaldo has zapped Real’s offenseReal Madrid’s expected goals through the first 10 matches of its season, 2010-19
AS Roma manager Eusebio Di Francesco feels that they ultimately paid a heavy price for their mistakes in their 4-1 defeat to Barcelona at the Nou CampThe Giallorossi conceded two own goals with Barcelona’s Gerard Pique then adding a third for the hosts. Edin Dzeko had given Roma a glimmer of hope when he scored, but Luis Suarez then hammered home from 14 yards to restore their advantage.Speaking after the match, Di Francesco felt that the overall results was not a fair reflection on their performance. But the Italian conceded that making the mistakes they did against Barcelona was always going to prove costly.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“I think the result is unfair on us given the way we played against a team like this. We scored an incredible own goal – Daniele De Rossi’s – and made mistakes in our own area. We made a game of it but were too slow in dropping off and reading certain situations. Ultimately, we needed to score when we had the chance to do so, like through [Diego] Perotti at the start of the second half or when we won the ball off their keeper. We needed to be more clinical because Barcelona are unforgiving.” said the Roma coach, according to the club website.“The players who started the game did well and so did our substitutes, [Stephan] El Shaarawy, [Gregoire] Defrel and [Maxime] Gonalons. Max played well, regardless of his mistake on the fourth goal. We were good in the first half and set out to score after the break with focus and determination. We managed to win the ball back but our decision-making let us down. And people always go on about how good our goalkeeper is but their goalie saved all our efforts tonight.”
The French teenager ended up on 13th place in the top scorer list last season with only 13 goals, and this year he’s first with the same number of goals and time to spareAfter only 17 matches played, Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe is currently France’s top scorer with 13 goals.This matches the same number of goals he scored last year, where he ended up on 13th place in the goalscorer list.The teenager keeps surprising everybody and doesn’t seem to stop.He is followed by Nantes’ Emiliano Sala and Lille’s Nicolas Pepe with 12 goals.Neymar can win the Ballon d’Or, says Ander Herrera Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 An “excited” Ander Herrera believes new Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Neymar is a contender for the Ballon d’Or alongside Kylian Mbappe.On fourth Marseille’s Florian Thauvin and PSG’s Neymar Jr. are tied with 11 goals.And last season top scorer, PSG’s Edinson Cavani, is following closely with 10 goals.Cavani was the top goalscorer of the 2017-2019 French Ligue 1 season with 28 goals, he scored six more than second-place Thauvian.Do you think Mbappe can add another trophy to his personal collection?