Tag «2021娱乐信息论坛»

Putin and Bush urged to request UN probe into US journalist’s murder in Moscow

first_img Help by sharing this information читать на русскомReporters Without Borders today called on Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President George W. Bush, who are to meet at the G8 summit on 15-17 July in St. Petersburg, to ask the United Nations to carry out an independent investigation into the unsolved murder of US journalist Paul Klebnikov exactly two years ago in Moscow.“After three people accused of murdering Klebnikov were acquitted by a Russian court at the end of a farce of a trial on 5 May, it is clear that justice even in such a high profile case remains elusive in Russia,” the press freedom organisation said.“It is intolerable that impunity should prevail and press freedom should be flouted like this in a country that is a G8 member,” Reporters Without Borders continued. “Klebnikov is the 13th journalist to be murdered in Russia since 2000. His family, his widow and his two children all have a right to know the truth. For all these reasons, the investigation should start again from scratch.”Recalling President Putin’s statement at last month’s World Newspaper Congress in Moscow that a progressive state should have a free press, Reporters Without Borders said he should demonstrate his commitment to press freedom by reaffirming the need to solve the Klebnikov murder to his counterparts at the G8 summit. Putin has made no public comment about the case since the trial of the alleged murderers began in January.The US House of Representatives condemned the Klebnikov murder on 16 May and asked the Russian authorities to press on with their investigations. A similar resolution was introduced on June 29 in the US senate with Senator Hillary Clinton’s support and has a good chance of being approved.“In view of the irregularities seen in the investigation since 2004, we think there is now no alternative but to set up an independent commission,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Mr. Putin and Mr. Bush, you are to meet within a few days at the G8 summit in St. Petersburg. We urge you to ask the United Nations to create an international commission to investigate the Klebnikov murder.”The editor of the Russian edition of the US magazine Forbes, Klebnikov was gunned down as he left his Moscow office on 9 July 2004 and died in the ambulance that rushed him to hospital. The investigators worked on the assumption that Chechens were behind his murder as he had written extensively about Chechnya. Suspects were quickly arrested but the trial was marred by numerous procedures violations. Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President George W. Bush will meet at the G8 summit on 15-17 July in St. Petersburg. Reporters Without Borders urges them to ask the UN to carry out an independent investigation into the unsolved murder of US journalist Paul Klebnikov. News RSF_en Organisation “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says BelarusEurope – Central Asia Receive email alerts Follow the news on Belarus May 27, 2021 Find out more News July 6, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Putin and Bush urged to request UN probe into US journalist’s murder in Moscow May 28, 2021 Find out more News BelarusEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown News to go furtherlast_img read more

British journalist held by ISIS is forced to make statement in video

first_img Damascus TV presenter arrested under cyber-crime law March 12, 2021 Find out more SyriaMiddle East – North Africa News News RWB is outraged by armed Jihadi group’s latest propaganda method SyriaMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders is appalled by today’s release by Islamic State in Iraq and Sham (also known as Islamic State and ISIS) of a video in which John Cantlie, a British journalist held hostage since November 2012, is forced to deliver a statement defending the armed Jihadi organization.“This shameful piece of propaganda, coming on the heels of the recent barbaric beheadings, has taken Islamic State’s hostage-taking to new level of horror,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “By releasing a video of British journalist John Cantlie speaking under duress, after staging the beheadings of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, ISIS is committing one war crime after another and is displaying its contempt for all human dignity. Cantlie must be released, like all the other hostages.”Entitled “Lend me your ears,” the three-minute video shows Cantlie and no one else. Dressed in orange, like the Guantanamo Bay detainees and like the hostages who were previously executed, he sits at a table and addresses the camera.Identifying himself as a British journalist who worked for leading publications such as the Sunday Times, Sun and Sunday Telegraph, he says:”In November 2012 I came to Syria where I was subsequently captured by the Islamic State. Now, nearly two years later, many things have changed including the expansion of the Islamic State to include large areas of eastern Syria and Western Iraq.“Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, ‘He’s only doing this because he’s a prisoner. He’s got a gun to his head and he’s being forced to do this,’ Right? Well, it’s true. I am a prisoner. That I cannot deny. But seeing as how I’ve been abandoned by my government and my fate now lies in the hands of the Islamic State, I have nothing to lose. “Maybe I will live, maybe I will die. But I want to take this opportunity to convey some facts that you can verify. Facts that if you contemplate might help preserving lives.”He then indicates that this is just the first of a series of videos designed to show how the western media try to turn pubic opinion against ISIS.“Over the next few programmes I’m going to show you the truth as the western media tries to drag the public back to the abyss of another war with the Islamic State.”Reporters Without Borders points out that such forced statements, the result of psychological torture, are regarded under international law as inhuman and degrading treatment.Cantlie was originally taken hostage with a Dutch journalist in northern Syria in July 2012. After being injured in an escape attempt, they were rescued a few weeks later by the Free Syrian Army. His recapture in November 2012 was the subject of a media blackout.Today’s video comes five days after ISIS released a video showing the beheading of British humanitarian aid worker David Haines, which was preceded by the videos showing the murders Foley and Sotloff.It also comes three days after an international conference in Paris to discuss military intervention in Iraq. Twenty-seven Arab and western countries and three international organizations attended the conference. Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Syria Toll of ten years of civil war on journalists in Syria News RSF_en March 8, 2021 Find out more to go further Organisation Wave of Kurdish arrests of Syrian journalists September 18, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 British journalist held by ISIS is forced to make statement in video News Receive email alerts February 3, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Forbearance Activity Rate Dips Under 5%

first_img About Author: Christina Hughes Babb Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Forbearance Activity Rate Dips Under 5% Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily The forbearance report from Black Knight’s McDash Flash Forbearance Tracker showed the largest week-over-week decline in forbearance activity since early January. Active plans dropped by 77,000 overall in the week ending Tuesday, March 9.As of that date, 2.6 million homeowners remained in forbearance, which represents 4.9% of all mortgagees. This also marks the first time the forbearance rate has dipped below 5% since early April 2020.What’s impacting the numbers? Black Knight’s Andy Walden reports that the week’s improvement was due to a combination of February month-end expirations as well as the proactive extension and/or removal of borrowers who were set to see their plans expire at the end of March.While scheduled March month-end expirations are down from 1.1 million a week ago, there are still more than 800,000 plans currently listed with March expirations, Walden noted.”This represents a daunting task for servicers as they review upcoming expirations for removal or extension based on recently revised HUD and FHFA’s allowable terms of up to 18 months for early forbearance entrants.”The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) recently announced extensions of several measures that the agency says will align COVID-19 mortgage relief policies across the federal government. This announcement, which extends temporary measures (previously set to expire March 31) until the end of June follows the White House’s February 16 moratoria extension applied to all federally backed mortgages through the same period.Said measures include provisions for borrowers with Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac-backed mortgages who may be eligible for an additional three-month extension of COVID-19 forbearance, according to a press release. This additional three-month extension allows borrowers to be in forbearance for up to 18 months.Early extension activity suggests servicers continue to approach forbearance plans in three-month increments, with the bulk of would-be March expirations being extended out through June (as it now stands), Black Knight reported.Says Walden/Black Knight, “With more than 800,000 plans still listed with March month-end expirations we’ll be watching the numbers closely over the next few weeks for elevated levels of removal and extension activity.” Home / Daily Dose / Forbearance Activity Rate Dips Under 5% Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago in Daily Dose, Featured, Loss Mitigation, News Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Related Articles Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Previous: Gap Widens Between Demand and Inventory Next: Why Nonwhite Neighborhoods Could Face Increased Flood Risk The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Christina Hughes Babb is a reporter for DS News and MReport. A graduate of Southern Methodist University, she has been a reporter, editor, and publisher in the Dallas area for more than 15 years. During her 10 years at Advocate Media and Dallas Magazine, she published thousands of articles covering local politics, real estate, development, crime, the arts, entertainment, and human interest, among other topics. She has won two national Mayborn School of Journalism Ten Spurs awards for nonfiction, and has penned pieces for Texas Monthly, Salon.com, Dallas Observer, Edible, and the Dallas Morning News, among others. 2021-03-12 Christina Hughes Babb Share Save The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Subscribe March 12, 2021 1,192 Views  Print This Postlast_img read more